Woman had an infection and was prescribed medication. She took the medication, but it did not resolve her symptoms. She continued to suffer pain and discomfort. Two months later, she received a call from the clinic to tell her she had been given the wrong medication. She was then given an injection of the appropriate medication and her symptoms resolved.
Adult male with psychiatric issues was admitted to hospital. He was given the medication intended for the patient in the bed next to him. As a result, the patient suffered convulsions. Neurologic tests confirmed the convulsions were caused by the wrong medication.
Intravenous medication was given to a woman in the hospital in too high a does burned her arm at the injection site. Amputation of her arm was recommended, but she declined the surgery. She was told the medication would eventually shut down her internal organs. The woman passed away two weeks later.
After suffering a work-related injury, a woman was prescribed pain medication at 10 mg. However, when she changed her pharmacy, they gave her 50 mg, which caused here to suffered severe seizures.
Man suffered work-related injury and was given an epidural injection for the pain. He began to suffered severe headaches and vomiting. Paramedics were called and it was discovered that he had received two epidural injections instead of the one ordered by the doctor.
Patient in hospital received an injection. However, once injected, the nurse informed him she had given him an injection intended for another patient. Patient ended up being hospitalized for five days.
Man went to the doctor for pain medication. Unfortunately, the doctor’s assistant administered the incorrect medication and gave him a medication he was allergic to. Man suffered chills, fever, light-headedness.
Newborn baby was born with a heart condition and was prescribed medication. Pharmacist told mother to administer 4 ml per injection. When she went for a visit with the baby to the doctor, the doctor asked how much she was giving. The doctor informed her that the correct dosage was 0.4 ml, not 4 ml. Newborn was dehydrated, her potassium levels were very low, and her kidneys began to shut down.
Man went to Walgreens’ to pick up his medication. There was an extra bottle in the bag, but the bottle had his name on it. He took the medication as instructed. However, he began to feel ill and had difficulty breathing. He felt that his throat was closing up. He called Walgreen’s, who told him to call 9-1-1. He was then taken to the hospital and received an injection to open his throat.
Woman wanted to quit smoking, so she was prescribed a nicotine patch. She received instead an estrogen patch intended for another woman. After several days of use, her husband noted that her smoking had actually increased since she began using the patch. They then discovered that the medication was not intended for her. She began to have suicidal thoughts, so she checked herself into the hospital on a 5150 (psychiatric) hold.
Woman was prescribed Celebrex, an anti-inflammatory. However, CVS pharmacy gave her Citalopram, an anti-depressant medication. Woman suffered from dry mouth while taking wrong medication.
Woman received the steroid medication Dexamethasone instead of Benadryl, and anti-histamine. She suffered numbness, dizziness and elevated blood pressure.
Woman was prescribed high blood pressure medication – Lisinopril and Hydrochlorothiazide. However, she received Sinopril instead of Lisinopril, which contains Hydrochlorothiazide. Woman suffered stomach pain and vomiting. When she went to Walmart Pharmacy, they informed her that she had been given the wrong medication.
Man received antibiotic medication from Walgreen’s instead of his anti-seizure medication. As a result, he suffered a seizure and was hospitalized.
Woman was hospitalized and given Ibuprofen and Motrin, medications she is allergic to. Her blood pressure increased and she suffered headaches.
Man went to Walgreen’s to pick up a prescription for Metformin. He was told by his doctor to take the medication twice a day. He later discovered that the tablets were 1,000 mg, instead of the intended 500 mg, effectively giving him a double dose. He began to feel dizzy and sweaty and his glucose levels dropped. No long-term effects
Woman was supposed to take her medication three times a day; the dosage was 50 mg, so she was supposed to take 150 mg/day. However, somehow, the pharmacy changed the dosage to 150 mg, but did not tell her, so she began to take 450 mg/day. Caller’s doctor had concerns about the effect of the medication on her heart.
Woman picked up her Rite-Aid prescription. Her name was on the bottle so she took the pills. However, she noticed there was also insulin in the bag and she does not take insulin. She received seven bottles of medication intended for someone else. She called the pharmacy and told them of the error.
Elderly woman was prescribed Dexamethasone and was then transported to another facility. No one gave her the prescribed medication. She died a few days later; that is when her family discovered she had not been given the medication that had been prescribed to her.
Target pharmacy gave a patient the wrong medication.
A pharmacy gave a woman the wrong medication. She took the medication for four days. As a result, her hands began to shake, her heart rate accelerated, she began to sweat profusely. She felt like she was going to die. She suffered panic attacks.
Doctor prescribed a patient Naproxen, which is in the same drug category as Motrin. Patient had a known allergy to Motrin and never should have received Naproxen.
Patient got a prescription filled at CVS pharmacy. Instead of giving him the 0.5 mg dosage, the pharmacy gave him a 3 mg dosage. Patient lost time from work as a result.
Man filled a prescription at Walgreen’s. After finishing the first batch, he went back to get a refill. At that time, the pharmacist noticed that he had been given the wrong medication. While taking the medication, he suffered severe headaches and chest pain.
Man picked up prescription at Walgreen’s. The medication made him black out and fall. He was rushed to hospital with a back injury. Walgreen’s later called to tell him he had been given the wrong medication.
Woman was supposed to receive medication with a dosage of 50 mg, but was given 100 mg tablets. She began to have trouble breathing and when to the ER, where the error was discovered.
Aged gentleman entered a care facility. He was prescribed a stool softener, but he was given Lithium instead for 3-4 days. He became very unresponsive, lethargic, incoherent, and was not functioning normally. The medication affected his ability to speak and accelerated his dementia. He now needs more expensive care due to the effects of the Lithium.
Woman received medication from pharmacy and took it for one month. When she went to see her doctor, she discovered she had been taking someone else’s medication.